Wednesday, August 16, 2017

This Week in Cultural Appropriation: Taco-Stuffed Zucchin


Tacos filling used to stuff a zucchini: lower in carbohydrates than the usual tacos in shells made from floured grains. You’ll need one or two large flat rectangular casseroles, like lasagna dishes.

Ingredients: makes 12 “tacos”, enough for 6 people

6 large zucchini
2 cloves garlic, or a small onion: optional
2 pounds ground meat
Taco seasoning to taste (packets, or see my mix recipe below)
12 ounces (340 g) grated cheese of your choice (I used cheddar)
Salt, pepper, olive oil
Taco toppings you like

Procedure

I wasn’t hurrying when I made these, so at the time I didn’t look for ways to parallel-process and save time. But I’ll try to make time-saving directions here. I think this could be done in an hour and a quarter, with the last half-hour as baking time that you could use to prepare a side dish if desired.

I started with preparing the zucchini because it takes awhile: you carve and parboil them before filling and baking them. Parboiling was time-consuming for me because they wouldn’t all fit in the skillet I used. If you want to save time, I’d suggest as your first step putting on a big pot of water, or multiple skillets, to boil while you get the zucchini ready. You could also start browning your ground meat, taking time to stir it now and then.

Split the zucchini lengthwise and chop off the ends. Then use a paring knife to cut around the edge, as though making a little dugout canoe, leaving a shell about a quarter-inch thick (6 mm).


Next, scoop out the insides with a metal spoon. If you have a grapefruit spoon, with a serrated edge, that would be ideal. Don’t cut all the way through, and keep a layer of pulp on all sides, as if to keep the canoe watertight. Reserve the chunks of white zucchini pulp in a bowl.

Heat some water in a skillet or pot that’s big enough, and parboil the zucchini shells about five minutes, in batches if necessary. Set the finished ones flat in a rectangular casserole. For six zucchini I used two big 9x13 inch casseroles.

While parboiling, you could use another skillet to brown your ground meat. I used turkey, but I’m confident beef or something else would be delicious: follow your own inner light. Then of course you drain it and add taco seasoning to it, the same as for regular tacos. I’m not going to give special instructions for that. If you’d like my recipe for taco seasoning mix, I include that below.

While both skillets are perking along, chop the chunks of zucchini pulp, rather fine. Then heat yet another skillet (unless you’re ready to reuse one of them), pour olive oil in it untiul your conscience tells you that you have poured enough, and sautee the pulp. Add crushed garlic andor minced onion, if you‘re using those. My family doesn’t like onions so I used garlic. Give it a stir and then cover it and wait a few minutes. It will reduce in volume quite a bit. I think ten or fifteen minutes should demoralize it pretty completely.



Meanwhile, grate the cheese. If you want to add a little cream cheese to the mix, I won’t tell anyone.

When the pulp has become all mushy and looks a little dry, combine it with the meat in a bowl, and stir in about two-thirds of the grated cheese. This is the filling that goes into the zucchini boats. Time to start heating the oven to 350 F (175 C).

Put a little filling in the first shell, then equal in the next, etc., until they all have a little, then go back and put a little more, and so on till the filling is used up. You always think there will be too much filling, but there never is. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.

I covered my casseroles with foil before baking, but I’m not sure whether covered or uncovered is best so let freedom reign. Put the casserole(s) in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.

Add toppings as desired. I used chopped tomatoes and baby spinach, sour cream and taco sauce from a bottle.


We liked these a lot, a light but satisfying meal. I missed the crunch of usual taco shells, but that seems to be a general problem with low-carb food. You could get a little crunchy texture by adding a bread-crumb topping before baking, I suppose. Perhaps a better option would be to have a crunchy side like chips with refried beans. Refried beans and spanish rice on the side would make this a hearty meal.


Taco Seasoning Mix

I don’t usually measure this out when use it, I just add what looks like enough and taste-test it. You’ll also want to add salt to taste when you use it, unless you prefer to add some while making the mix.

English measurements:
¼ cup chili powder
3 tbs paprika
2 tbs onion powder
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs ground cumin
1 tbs oregano
2 tbs cayenne pepper
1 tbs black pepper

Combine all ingredients and store in airtight crock. Makes about 1 cup.

Metric measurements:

60 ml chili powder
45 ml paprika
30 ml onion powder
15 ml garlic powder
15 ml ground cumin
15 ml oregano
30 ml cayenne pepper
15 ml black pepper

I suppose that would make 225 ml.







No comments:

Post a Comment