Monday, February 18, 2019

Monday Morning Media Musings


The Guardian
... in an endearing show of tenderness from the Left toward their political opponents, is deeply concerned about climate change skeptics investing in Florida coastal real estate. If only everyone believed what the Greens tell them, this land would be virtually worthless now, as the Guardian thinks it should be. I suppose that would be hard on any enviros who happen to own some, so I would like to reach back across the political divide and show equal sympathy toward the other side. Here's my offer to anyone owning a Florida coastal mansion now valued at half a million or more, I will pay you $100 CASH for your property, with delivery of the property not until December 31, 2031. That's after Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's twelve years are up, so you presumably believe that the property will be under the sea by that time, meaning that you'll be getting a C-note for nothing here. I will have to specify that the property has to be in its current condition UNLESS the oceans rise to submerge it, of course, but such a rider shouldn't cause any concern to a true believer.
 
The Daily Beast
... would like to know why are we still reading Ernest Hemingway. Beats me, I'm not. That article barely scratches the surface of how deplorable Hemingway was. I just want to point out that no one would ask this about Edgar Rice Burroughs, because his books are fun to read.


WIRED
 ... is trying to analyze the physics in the scene from the Justice League movie:

I'm not sure what's on the bottom of the building, but I imagine that as Superman pushed up from the bottom he would just break through. It would be awkward. He wants to life the building but would instead fly right through it. It would be like trying to life up a cupcake with a toothpick.
When Superman wants to lift something huge, like a building, jet airplane, or a battleship, he uses his super-breath to create a cushion of air on the side he's pushing, so that it's effectively being lifted from the entire underside. Think these things through, people. I mean, I thought everyone knew that.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad "The Old Man and the Sea" exists because it's the reason Nick Cole's post-apocalyptic masterpiece The Wasteland Trilogy exists.

    ReplyDelete